I posted this recipe for Rice Salad awhile back, but thought it might be due for a repost since I was asked for the recipe multiple times this weekend when I brought it with me to a friend's BBQ.
This is one of those recipes that I have so many memories of that it feels like it's a legitimate member of our family. Others on this list for me? Sheet cake, Thanksgiving dressing, and Shrimp Remoulade. I have a photocopy of my mom's recipe card and it's not in her handwriting- which means she likely got it from one of her elders. Anytime a recipe has been passed down for three generations- you know it's a keeper.
So while it might sound strange, trust me on this one- the next time you are invited to a BBQ? Bring this. I've made this for super picky eaters and foodies alike, and everyone loves it.
- ¼ salad oil
- 2 T vinegar
- 2 T mustard
- 1½ t salt
- ⅛ t pepper
- 4½ C of hot cooked rice (Cook in chicken broth for more flavor)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1½ C celery, chopped
- ½ C dill pickles, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (2 oz.) jar of diced pimentos
- ½ C mayo
- Cook rice according to package instructions (preferably in chicken broth).
- Whisk first five ingredients together and pour over hot rice. Mix well.
- Chill for a bit and then stir in remaining ingredients. I typically add a smidge more mustard, salt, and pepper at this point and I also usually pour a little of the dill pickle juice in there.
- Chill until you are ready to serve.
- Have this recipe handy because you WILL get asked for it.